Thursday, September 10, 2009

Maps

So, let me just tell you what happens in Amsterdam when you don't have a map with you. At all times.

You get lost. I mean, really LOST.

One turn will cost you 15 minutes of lost. Go down 5 streets of 1 turn and it is an hour before you find your way back to a landmark.

Even the LOCALS get lost.

So, since I think that the best way to find oneself is to get LOST, I had a great time on Sunday. A group of us (remember, our student group tends to sleep, breathe, and eat as a unit) decided to check out a local English speaking church on Sunday. I decided to bike, while the others judiciously decided to take the tram. They wanted to arrive on time. I thought I would be early, as I left one hour before the service began.

But.... I took one wrong turn. One.

And ended up on the opposite side of town.

I realized this when I arrived at the river that Amsterdam was formed from. The river, mind you, is on the opposite end of the city from where we live, which meant that downtown was somewhere between there and our home. Ok, let's use my philosophy. Breathe deep. It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining. Ok! Now, where am I? The Amstel. Ok- I know where I am! Now, where do I want to be? In a church downtown. Ok! Here I am- I am here, in God's church of sky and sun and water and a bike bridge over a river in a city I don't know. I am already here! So guide me home...

An old man showed up around this time. (Thank god for the old men of Amsterdam- I think there is something to this... they keep showing up at the most opportune moments!) He took one look at me and said- Where are you headed?
I went the wrong way, I said. (not helpful)
Go back then, he says, but at the corner, turn right. You'll end up downtown.

Gotta love it.

I made it to church only 15 minutes late. Children's sermon. Right on time for me. Completely on my level.


No comments:

Post a Comment