Thursday, September 10, 2009

Get Lost

I have a little theory in life and it goes something like this:

Get LOST and you will find your WAY.

The beauty about this theory is that it applies to just about every aspect of my life, practical, theoretical, emotional, physical, you name it. A good sense of humor is also helpful.

I think this theory started to cement itself into place very early in my life, and it has served me, so far, very well. As I am reluctant to take a map, or ask for directions (my mom mentioned something about me taking after my father here), it is really just a survival strategy.

I remember a stormy evening in which my little brother and I were wedged into the back of our small car in the Netherlands, about 2 months after our first arrival, 20 years ago. As most teens would, I was not paying attention to what was going on with my parents until I noticed the car had stopped, and my mother's voice had risen- We are lost! Oh, not a nice thing to hear when it is cold and stormy outside of a cramped vehicle in a foreign country! I started paying attention. My father replied- We're not lost, I know exactly where I am. To which my mother replied- Where are we then? And Dad rightly said- With you.. in the car.

I think that did it for me.

We made it home just fine, and I have taken a similar approach since then. Good thing, because there are so many moments one is lost!

Case in point: I now carry a Dutch passport and Dutch citizenship. Although, I should mention that have been out of the country 12 years, in the United States. And I received my citizenship shortly before I left. I never even learned how to register to vote!
So here I return to the nation of my (2nd) citizenship, and I am expected to be one of them! Where is town hall? Did I not know I had to register there, within 5 days of arrival? Well, every Dutch person knows that. Where is my Sofinummer? And my bank account? And my ability to understand the fine print on forms? And my manners- oh, where are my manners? Have you been hanging out with Americans or something?
Well, yes, I have.
Ok. So I arrived here 20 years ago, a foreigner in a foreign land. 4 years later, I spoke the language, and was in a Dutch University. But my decision to take Dutch citizenship coincided with a decision to return to the U.S, just prior to departure. So color me confused. I don't really know where I am. I am here. With you! In, where? Oh yeah, Holland.
Ok. I got it now.







No comments:

Post a Comment